Tis the season… of over indulgence. It seems to start for a lot of people with Halloween and sort of steam rolls all the way through til New Years. Halloween candy turns into pumpkin pie and peppermint mochas. Which then becomes Christmas candy and egg nog. Only to be followed up by New Years celebrations.
We can do a lot of damage during that time. The average American gains 9 lbs during that stretch. Which in turn causes a lot of stress and the need for those infamous New Years resolutions. Resolutions done wrong end up adding to that stress because 85% of the people who start them end up failing which does even more emotional damage.
So how do we avoid that? I would love to say just show amazing will power and avoid all sugar and extra calories during the holidays, but come on that’s not realistic for most of us. Does it mean you should not care, give in and let what ever happens happen? No, it means understand the challenges and how you are wired personally. Try to minimize the damage and have a realistic plan for after the 1st of January.
Here are some tips to help you succeed with your fitness & weight loss new years resolutions:
1) Schedule: Use a schedule, like the calendar on your phone, and plan when you will workout. Put it on that calendar with reminders and don’t schedule anything over it.
2) Be realistic: If you are not a workout person or have not done so in a long time don’t start out with 5 days a week. Pick 2 or 3 days a week. Again being realistic.
3) Be appropriate: Don’t join fight club if you have not been training for fight club:) Many people get sold on an infomercial or the coolest latest popular trend in hardcore fitness. The goal is long term success not short term intensity. Find a program relative to where you are at.
4) Find accountability: Best way to succeed is if you are accountable to someone other than yourself. Get a friend to start working out wth you or join a program that meets all the aforementioned requirements. That way you’ll have help developing this routine.
5) Don’t diet: Diets don’t work. Learn how to eat. Learn what you need to change and again, be realistic in your approach.
Here’s to your successful 2017! I know you can make it the best fitness and health year you have ever had. Done correctly it can be the life change that you know you need.
If you have questions or comments feel free to let us know. If you are looking for an amazing way to succeed with your fitness program check out our 8 Week Winter Body Transformation Challenge. Not only will you get in the best shape of your life but you will have a chance of winning $500.
– Your Absolute Fitness Team